Sunday, January 6, 2013

THE LOC NAZIS

When I started my locs, there was no Internet.  No support groups or products geared towards locs. It was just plain ole...plain ole...using what worked for me. When I started way back then, I maintained my locs with Always Castor Oil pomade.

While out minding my own business a lady approached me about my locs. She was also a loc wearer. It was that "loc" connection of conversation. I was use to the usual questions of care & maintenance. That sisterly love changed when I mentioned two words: "Shea butter." She went into a hoopla and a holler. She said, "No! Sis! No! You're not suppose to use shea butter on your locs. It causes build up." I said, "Who said I wasn't suppose to use it?" She looked around. Then responded, "Well, they say..." I said, "Who is they?" She was speechless. I said, "I don't have build up, and I know MY hair. I use what works for me."

I'm so glad to see information on locs that can help people who are interested in starting locs. I think it is a beautiful thing. HOWEVER, I can see how confusion creeps in. It can be a bit overwhelming, but the most important thing is...knowing what YOUR hair likes. Remember just because you have locs, doesn't mean that you forget the texture of your hair. Your hair has a pattern, a texture that responds good to some products and bad with others. Your texture is just matted into beautiful, patient, and unique strands of hair called locs.

Don't listen to the "Loc Nazis" on what you are NOT suppose to use. You will go bald listening to these folks. Listen to the strands on YOUR head. Trust me...those strands will matte into a beautiful story.


2 comments:

  1. Fabulous advice! It's wonderful when people share advice -but it's just advice. You then have to take that information and be the judge of it.

    Hair is so ingrained in our culture, so everyone's strands respond to different products and ingredients.

    Great tip!

    ReplyDelete